Alfie™

Saturday, February 16, 2008

T1W6 JOURNAL

Cupidity had got the better of me.

The New Year's party was saturated with frenzy and excitement.

"How about an Absinthe for you Sir?" asked the bartender.

"Okay.." I agreed although unsure of what that was exactly.

It had been a long night but I had enjoyed myself.

My eyelids were already feeling heavy and I wanted to doze off. Then, an old man in his sixties came up to me and asked me if I was selling the ring on my left hand's index finger.

It was a present from one my friends and I was sure it was one of those really ordinary diamond rings you would find easily. I pondered on his motive as I sipped my Absinthe but I came up with nothing.

"Why would you want my ring? I mean it is so common!" I asked doubtfully.

"I have no ulterior motive. Well, I find it beautiful so I wanted to get it for wife." He replied without batting an eyelid.

Well it seemed that he wasn't lying and it was purely for altruistic reasons so why not. I thought while paying cursory attention to him and his hidden motive.

And out of complete temerity, I greedily agreed to his irresistible deal of 3000 dollars.

We settled that we would deal tomorrow noon outside the deserted supermarket just a couple of blocks away. Well, I didn't exactly agree it was more of him choosing the location and asking me to meet there.

Well, the next day came faster than I thought and there I was waiting for the unnamed man to appear.

True enough he arrived, slightly tardy, with an envelope in his arms.

"You sure about this?" I asked him.

Who in the right mind would buy this mediocre diamond ring for 3000 dollars? He must be up to something. But I assured myself that this was nothing like a scam. However, this was the complete antithesis of me. I was the safe, cautious and wary type not this greedy looking-out-for-free gains person.

"Very." He answered firmly.

I hesitated in removing the diamond ring. As he rushed him, I slowly took it off my index finger.

Then came the hit. I couldn't remember exactly what happen. But I was hit on the back and I fell unconscious.

I was robbed of not only my ring but also other valuables like my wallet. I also received a stay at the hospital to recover from my wounds.

Well, I should have seen it coming. There really is no free lunch in this world.

1 Comments:

At February 16, 2008 at 5:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting storyline. I've enjoyed reading it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home